Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bitlocker folder size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluejay07

Programmer
Mar 9, 2007
CA
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum or not.
If anyone knows of a better forum for this question, please let me know.

I have a series of folders.
While looking at the properties of the root folder:
Size: 75.3 GB
Size On Disk: 76.8

When I moved this folder to an external drive encrypted with Bitlocker, the size on disk almost quadrupled.
Size on Disk: 405 GB.

I haven't had anything set to use bitlocker before.
Is this normal for bitlocker to increase the size so much?

I can understand some differences because of the encryption, although it seems really high.

The size, number of files and number of folders is the same between both drives. Only the size on disk was affected and essentially taking up a huge amount of disk space.

Thanks.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving wasn't meant for you!

I wonder if it is something related to 32/64 bit encryption. I'm marking the thread as I want to know as well.

==================================
advanced cognitive capabilities and other marketing buzzwords explained with sarcastic simplicity

No, it is not normal. A drive with Bitlocker enabled should not have any effect on file size.

What is the total size (capacity) of the external drive?
When you copy other folders/files over, do they exhibit the same issue?
Out of curiosity, what kind of data is being stored in this folder you're having issues with?

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back