Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bipolar violation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kh3572

Programmer
Feb 28, 2005
US
I have a customer stating he gets a "bipolar violation" on his IP Office. Can anyone tell me what this means?

PhoneLady

where does that message come up, on the PC or on a phone display?
System version and release?
Not that I ever had this happening or heard of it before.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

Those are T1 PRI issues i think.

Kevin Wing
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

Bipolar violations are bad things.

It is when the T-1 is not connecting cleanly with the provider. It can be the sign of the Layer 1 issue--Loose connection or damage to the wire carrying the T-1.

The Magix documentaion addresses this more (T-1s were not as common then). Magix defines Bipolar Violation as "Condition occurring when two positive or two negative pulses are received in succession. See also AMI and B8ZS."

I would double check your cables from the PRI card to the Smart jack. If all looks good, I would call the provider to report a trouble.

If the problem has always been there, then you my have a programming mismatch with the provider.

Frank

Frank Robertshaw
The Phone Guy
Nashville, TN

Often, bipolar violation is caused by a reversed pair on the T1. As said earlier, verify cabling - they are polarity-sensitive.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back