Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bios Upgrade sans floppy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkDraa

MIS
Aug 10, 2001
US
Now that Dell has joined the "no more floppies" bandwagon, I've started thinking about the real impact of this. The only question I don't have an answer for is:

How does one accomplish a bios upgrade if there is no floppy drive? Let's presume a WinXP-Pro desktop machine.

Recent efforts to make a bootable CD for this purpose have been unsuccessful (maybe Roxio is at fault, but you have to admit the instructions are daunting).

I haven't yet seen the option to "boot from USB" but that might be cool, given the recent popularity of the key-storage devices.

Any and all opinions welcome - Thanks!

M

Have just burnt a bootable CD using Nero (minimal boot, as needed for flashing bios) - just created disk image (used shareware, floppy image, imagine winimage would be ok too) and set Nero to use that as image file. Works fine.

Restart computer, select command prompt with networking, and flash from another computer on the network. :-D
Maybe not an option...
Nero makes it MUCH easier to create a bootable CD, Roxio can go kiss my ***! Anyone that charges for updates to already purchased software...grrrr...[/rant]
It's actually quite safe to boot to DOS mode in XP and do the flash, just make sure there's no autoexec.bat or config.sys in the startup. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back