Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BIOS Update -Compusa PII

Status
Not open for further replies.

jared71

MIS
Jul 2, 2001
US
Hi,

I need to find an update for my wife's laptop. It currently says it's running Phoenix Bios version 4.0. When I open up the back panel for the memory, the sticker says:

Phoenix Bios
PII 440BX +ACPI
a0743338

I can't find a win2k compatble bios that will suit the 40 GB drive I'm trying to boot, I get an ACPI compliance error. Anyone know where I can get a copy of the BIOS? The laptop doesn't boot and the old drive crapped out.

What is the manufacturer and model of laptop? It's easier to look it up that way.

Check the manual for your bios at below link:

For a new chip to replace the old version, try they are EXTREMELY good!

My memory tells me that 4.51 or below were good for 8.4GB or below; but it all depends on the manuf. specs.

Have you considered using a manufacturer installation utility? They can install an overlay which may be able to translate the drive size to the bios. Problem with that is if the drive ever has a MBR error it's really tough to get it back without risking your data. Those utilities can usually provide a way to back up the MBR too.

It's a compusa model. that's the problem. the model number was on a sticker that pealed off. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back