Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bios setup not detecting drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2004
CA
Ok I just bought a Maxtor 80 gig HD and slapped it in the computer. This is my first install and i was told to enter the setup by pressing delete when the computer boots, so I've done that but cannot figure out where to go next to get it to detect the hard drive...

Might help if you told us the choices availabel, so we might have some idea what you are dealing with.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Its called "AwardBIOS Setup Utility"

It has a bunch of sub menus "Main - Advanced - Power - Boot - Exit"

I don't think that you need to be in the BIOS setup - normally the BIOS will automatically detect a new hard drive. How have you connected the drive? Is it connected on the same cable as another drive? Is it on it's own cable to a different IDE plug on the motherboard? This will affect if it is a master or slave drive (and the jumper pins setting on the back of the new drive) Please could you explain how it is physically connected first - then we might be able to help!!

Kim.

'Everybody is ignorant - only on different subjects.'
Will Rogers.

Try main, go to drive select, page up or down until you get to an auto setting. I'm not sure I remember the datails of that version.

Perhaps somebody else with the same version of BIOS will offer better suggestions.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back