Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bios password

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chavito21

Programmer
Mar 26, 2003
US
I have a problem one of the user here put a password on Bios he set up the user and supervisor password. Today he is having problem with Windows 2000 boot file (currupted) so I was going to repair windows 2000 but when I try to boot from the CD I wasn't able so I went to check BIOS to check the boot sequance. and guess what it ask me for a password.!!!! He doesn't remember what the passwords are.
It seems like there r some generic word that can be use for password.
One of his friend told him that and he use one and let us in as a user but not as supervisor. so I can't change anything.
What I can do? If I reset Bios would that erase the passwords and what else.????

thanks
chavito

Check here:
Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

If you have the experience with openned desktop, you may find the jumper for clearing the coms....
It is not too hard to find, because there are only a few jumpers on the main board (if you know what jumpers are like..) and find the one with the label (clr, clr coms, ...and so on), mostly it is close to battery or cpu.......you can remove the cap with a cliper or hand, and plug it in the other way, then restore the old way ....

and that is it,,,,,
and another way is to remove the battery for a few minute then put it back.....

If you succeed in this way, please let me know...

"Learn till the last breath."

Besides moving the jumper or switch to clear the BIOS, taking the battery out, and removing the power cables from the motherboard, plus CPU and RAM, then counting to 30. then plugging them all back in again can all help.

Regards,

aspectz

Thank you all, I am going to try all, starting with the jumper to clear the comms, then the jumper and the battery and so on. I alreaady try the passwords but no luck I only use the one for Award since that is the BIOS that this machine has. I will post with result.

Again thanks for all the help.

Chavito

If you don't have the manual to show the porper jumper for shorting the bios, the safest thing is to remove the battery. Keep it out for about 30 seconds, replace, turn on machine. You should lose the password settings. You have to go back into the BIOS and reset date/time, and any defaults.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back