Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bios not seeing hard drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

VWdriver

Technical User
Mar 21, 2003
CA
I am having trouble getting a computer to see this drive. It uses the award 4.51 bios. My own computer uses the same bios but it sees it no problem. I am puzzled with this. I have tried everything that I know of. Changed jumper settings, changed data cable, removed all other peripherals such as the cd rom and burner thinking that the power supply wasn't giving enough power for the new drive but still no luck. Maybe something simple I'm not seeing but it has me stumped.

Power cable is OK?
Does the BIOS need you to detect drives manually?
Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Is it possible that the motherboard just cannot support the size of drive you have? had one last week that would see a 20gig drive no problem but would not see a 40gig at all. Tried everything i knew short of flashing the bios to no avail

Try ez-bios. Or some other disk management software that you can download from the manufacturer of your hard drive. If that doesn't work then purchase a pci "ide controller" card. About 40 or 50 dollars. It has it's own bios.
You might think about upgrading, motherboards and processors are really reasonable lately.
good luck!
sdhiram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back