Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bios Not installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

godcom

IS-IT--Management
Aug 9, 2001
JP
I have an IBM Netfinity 3000 running NT 4.0 SP6a which crashed this afternoon. When the server was rebooted, it comes up with "BIOS not installed" and then does nothing. As the server is in another state I cannot access it. Any ideas?

Sounds like your ROM chip, where your bio's is stored is dead. Without a system bio's your server is just a door stop. Did anything happen before your server crashed?

The "BIOS not installed" message is probably from the onboard Adaptec SCSI controller. What other adapters do you have in this box?

LarryLarryTheCucumber is right - you get this message when your SCSI adapter does not see any bootable devices on the SCSI bus. So, looks like harddrive went south.
Connect known good drive to see if it's an adapter issue, and, if system starts and you see that new drive (even from a floppy) - get a new harddrive for the system.
Good luck.

OK Fixed it. The Raid array lost power and dropped off. Then the server crashed and could not reboot from the raid array. I had to break the second arrray and reboot to access the raid manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back