Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BIOS ~ Most Basic Question Possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCCarson

Technical User
Oct 13, 2003
CA
I have a sweet-running system with an old BIOS, too old to update, and I keep it working pretty well. No problem.

But recently I began toying with some very old, "alleyway" computers—P1s and P2s—just to teach myself a few new tricks and have some fun. No matter what shape I put these oldies into, they are white elephants. But because there is therefore no risk to my good system, I like to play with them.

With my minimal BIOS savvy, I attempted to tweak one of these old machines to accept different hard drives. I reset the pins OK the first few times, but then I came across some drives that refused to show right, and I began playing with the BIOS.

Well, I totally screwed up the BIOS. I wasn't flashing it; just attempting different settings. After a good afternoon's work, I basically had wrecked the system.

Gee whiz. (You can stop laughing anytime soon.)

So, is there a way I can somehow reclaim all the default settings for that very old BIOS? I don't expect to find anything on the internet for it. But I'd like a second chance if I can get it.

Thanks a lot.

You were just fooling with the settings in the setup right? Did you see a setting in the BIOS to reset to default? If not try removing the CMOS battery from the motherboard to reset the BIOS. There may be a jumper setting you could use to reset the BIOS too.

(Scroll down to see - Forcing the Bios-CMOS to be Reset to Default Values)

Here are some pictures of what the battery looks like if you are not familiar.

Joey
CCNA, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

Thanks for such a quick reply. I'm pretty sure I can follow your advice. That was something I hadn't thought of doing at all, and it makes sense. (Sounds logically logical.)

It will be a few days now before I can get back at it. I'll report back here as soon as I do. Thanks again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back