Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BIOS - how to change 800 pcs

Status
Not open for further replies.

nunzeo

Programmer
Nov 17, 2003
US
I am working with Dell desktops and have downloaded their configuration utility which will allow you to build an .exe file to change settings in the BIOS, then you can push that .exe file out via policy or whatever. Anyway, the one thing I cannot change with this utility is the boot order. I want to change the boot order on about 800 pcs and want to know if anyone out there knows of a utility, script, or anything that can do it without visiting every PC on the network. Thanks in advance for any help.

I want to change the boot order on about 800 pcs

I have no idea how to do what you seek but wonder why the boot order is that important? Is it to lock-down the PC and keep users from booting to a virus-laden floppy or CD or just to speed up reboots? Most PCs don't get rebooted that often, do they?

Inquiring minds want to know...I am always in "learn" mode.

Tony

We are implementing a service which will allow us to PXE boot (Network Boot) any number of pcs and image them in a matter of minutes. We want to change it so the NIC card is the first in order then the harddrive. When you do it this way, everytime a PC boots it will start a PXE request via the NIC card and if no PXE server takes the request then it will just boot to the HD. Now if we want to upgrade say 50 PCs we turn up the service on the PXE server, reboot the PCs and when the come back up they will boot to their NICs which then talk to the PXE server and we can throw an image on them at the flick of a button. This service is also used just in case a user at a remote site has a corrupted OS. We tell them to reboot and control everything from our end.

nunzeo,

Thanks for taking the time to explain. Good luck with your project, sounds like a winner.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back