Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BIOS has changed without my consent

Status
Not open for further replies.

feri

Technical User
Nov 27, 2002
GB
okay I have found that I have onboard sound and this is why I have a problem with the multimedia audio controller. Now I have disabled this long time ago in my BIOS as I have an external USB sound card. When I boot I get the ASUS Logo screen. So something has changed my BIOS as I had a look at some of the settings. There have been quite a few things that have changed. What could do this????? I know I don’t have a virus....could a installed program alter the BIOS? I don’t think so, not as far as I am aware??
Maybe, I am wrong....?

Hi Feri,

when things change in CMOS they can be narrowed down to the following:

1.) Virus
2.) Trojans
3.) Bad Battery
4.) User (includes friends who come over to play around!)
or
5.) Static Electricity

I'm sure there are a couple of other things that might change CMOS settings... but I can't think of them at the moment...

Ben

thanx Ben. the other thing i noticed was while in the bios i move to the boot options and there is only two boot devices and nothing ells until the rest appears after about a four second delay. In other words when tab across to boot there will be a two four delay for the rest of the page to show.
I have last seasons Asus A7VX8 mo-board. surely the lithium battery is not dying on me already?

I'm going out on a limb on this one...

there might be a possibility that your PSU has problems or is about to go out on you...

is there anyway that you could change CPU and test that aspect... sounds a bit strange to me that in BIOS you would have a delay of anysort!

try also another stick of ram (a bad stick had my system lock up after 5 min into poweron even within the BIOS!)...

BEN

PS - mostlikely your right about the battery, but stranger things have happened before...

The boot order delay is normal, always takes a few sec's if you go through the menu's quick I'd guess a low batt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back