Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bios boot device priority

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandwedger

Technical User
Apr 30, 2001
US
I screwed up and forgot what my original boot device priorities were in my HP Pavilion. Is there a suggested preferred sequence?

For a home computer I set it floppy, CDROM, hard drive

The answer is "42"

differnt theories. Why wait for the A: and CD to time out. Hit the hard drive first. If the machine can't find it, then your CD and A can take over.
Frankly, it doesn't really matter.

Depends on if you boot from CD on occasion (Ubuntu or Knoppix users) or are frequently installing multi-boot operating systems.

I usually go with CD-ROM, then hard disk. I haven't had a floppy drive for years anyway. On the "waiting for the CD to time out" issue, a CD-ROM is smarter than a floppy drive. The floppy disk only knows if there is a disk present by trying to spin it up and read it. The CD-ROM can tell if there is a disc present without having to spin up the drive, so the "time out" interval is much slower than you would think. Plus, most people that I know only reboot their PCs once every couple of weeks so any delay would be largely irrelevant.

Kmcferrin is correct: the boot priority depends on your personal needs. If you hardly ever boot from other devices, boot right from the hard drive; saves some time. If you sometimes boot from floppy or CD, set those as priority depending on which you boot from. As Kmc pointed out, the biggest lagger is a floppy drive, so unless you're in the habit of floppy booting I'd take it out of the loop. You can always change the boot priority if needed, so it's not a biggie. Most folks just boot directly from the hard drive and then change the setup if later necessary to boot from CD or floppy.

---***--- Drew Software offers highly accurate Personality
Evaluation software. Reduce turnover. Improve job satisfaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back