Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Biometric devices - recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

tray0011

IS-IT--Management
May 31, 2006
US
Guys!

Are there any biometric fingerprint scanners that are reputable. We would like to eventually integrate it in our windows domain to use windows authentication.

Is this a difficult task to undertake? Does software need to be installed on each computer using it?

Thanks alot,
Tray

Tray,
I remember using a Sony biometric device about a year ago. It did require that we have software installed on the PC. I remember it worked pretty good, and was relatively easy to use/configure.

I know there are plenty of others out there. But can't say I played with any of them....

Thanks tfg13.

Anyone else have any experience that they could add to my research?

Personally I'd go down the smartcard route unless biometrics is a requirement, much less hassle with delays, dirty scanners etc.

I just saw a microsoft white paper discussing their implementation of smartcards into their own company and how they found smartcards to be the best option. Would you only go with microsoft made products?

The only reason i wouldn't go this route and rather use scanners is to avoid any keyloggers that may have been installed or other hacking (with smartcards you also need a pin #).

Heres the white paper link

Thanks,
Tray

Well the PIN could be sniffed but they'd also need the actual card so it wouldn't be much use (I doubt many hackers go to the trouble of sniffing a PIN then stealing the smartcard after).

NickFerrar,
Although I agree with the smartcard route, I must also think of the old security addage:

Something you know, Something you have, and Something you are.

Having 2 out of 3 ain't bad, but having them all would be a lot better. As for the cost, yes, you will start encurring costs with either a smartcard, or biometrics. Last time I looked though, biometrics prices are falling quickly, whereas smartcard technology has kind of stayed the course of pricing (think it has to do with supply and demand, as smartcards are used a whole bunch right now)....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back