Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bioinformatics

Status
Not open for further replies.

ETLMaster

Programmer
Sep 30, 2002
US
Hi all,
I'm getting myself into bioinformatics and I find that perl is the language of choice for parsing sequences and the like. I would like to use Ruby for this, but I'm just worried at the performance compared to Perl. It seems some unofficial benchmarks say that Ruby is 2-3x slower than Perl.
What do you guys think?

I've never seen proof that ruby is slower than perl in a general sense. I do know that the regex engine is a bit slower (like 10-15%), but not massively. There are, just like in perl, some things which are slower than you would think they would be, but, as in perl, there are almost always work-arounds. Ruby's C-API is also very easy to use, and so any speed critical parts of your own applications can be written in C. "If you think you're too small to make a difference, try spending a night in a closed tent with a mosquito."

Hi there,
Try taking a similar approach to the one used when producing bioperl and recode any functions directly into the compiler. As this takes any speed difference out.

Cheers

'mi casa es su casa'
]-=tty0=-[

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back