Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Binding access data controls to Oracle back end 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sroberts

Programmer
Jan 17, 2001
US
I have an existing application that uses VBA and the connected access db but would like to change over to an Oracle 8i db. I can use linked tables (to Oracle views) to view data, but am unable to edit/update/delete through the app forms. I want to do as little modification of the application as possible as I have not worked a great deal with VBA (though I do know VB5). If anyone has any experience with this sort of problem I would appreciate any help you can give me.
Thanks,
Scott

We had the same problem with an Access/SQL Server 7 application. I would suggest NOT using linked tables (although from the sounds of it, you can't anyway). We modified the code in our Access front end (ADO) to connect to SQL Server (the same thing can be done with Oracle), and the performance was like night and day.

If tables are linked to an ODBC database other than Access, the performance is not what it could be by coding it.

I would suggest either learning the code yourself, or hiring someone to modify the application. It will be much better performance in the long run. Jim Lunde
compugeeks@hotmail.com
Custom Application Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back