Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BIND

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caleb194

IS-IT--Management
Jun 16, 2017
US
IS there any way to get a BIND dns server to automatically cache names. For Example if I have CPU1 CPU2 CPU3 and I set up the dns server (NS1 for this example), I want to be able to configure those computers to use NS1 as the dns server but I don't want to go and enter the records for each computer. I want bind to do that automatically when those computers connect. Is there any way to do this other than making bind also a DHCP server?

yes, there is.
1. BIND allowed updates from the DHCP subnet
2. On client computers make sure the connection registers with DNS. In windows it is under TCP/IP, advanced, DNS
DHCP is completely separate from DNS. Nothing prohibits you from running a DHCP server on the same host as DNS.
So what you could be doing, run DHCP server and hand off the same host as the DNS server so these clients will register with it.

okay so how do I allow updates from dhcp to bind?

thanks not sure what lines to put in but that should be out there some way.

A quick but not necessarily the best way to do that:
Find the part where your zone is defined, something like the code below. The two lines that should do the job for Windows clients are highlighted. Change the zone name, file name, IP subnets.

Code:
zone "mydomain.com." IN {
        type master;
        file "mydomaincom.zone";
        [highlight #FCE94F]allow-update { 10.10.1.0/24; 192.168.11.0/24; };[/highlight]
        [highlight #FCE94F]check-names ignore;[/highlight]
};

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back