Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BIND - IBM vs ISC --- Looking for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

pa2nc

Programmer
Jun 9, 2008
US
I'm looking for some advice on running DNS/BIND/named9, whatever you may call it on AIX. What is the preferred code source? Should I download and compile the ISC version or should I go with the version from IBM? I'm just looking for strong reasons to go with one or the other.
Here are a few of my questions:
Are there any issues with IBM code, other than it is usually back-level?
Are there issues with the ISC code other than it is public domain and not officially supported by anyone?
What about stability, capacity, reliability, scalability, etc?
I'm asking because I currently am using the ISC version and some of my peers would like to switch to the IBM version for their support. My implementation is a large International company that must have high availability and near zero downtime.

Please share your thoughts and experiences, good or bad.
Best regards.

If you can compile BIND from the source, I would propose that. As for stability, it is my experience that named is very stable on AIX. My builds worked well on AIX 4, 5 and 6.

I ran into this situation myself for a client. The version of BIND that comes with AIX 7.1 is 9.4 (if I recall). Problem with that, it's an old version that is no longer considered secure. Our older AIX 5.3/6.1 BIND servers are running version 8.x which is a security no-no. So had to make a decision to go with what IBM supports or implement the latest supported versions from the ISC.

At the end of the day as our team supports hundreds of AIX boxes and to ensure any compatibility issues, we stuck with the IBM default. Fortunately in our case we are in the process of moving away AIX based BIND servers to appliances instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back