Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BIND 8 problem - all master/authoritative queries return as non-auth

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott42

ISP
Feb 28, 2012
US
I'm running a BIND8 servers hosting multiple authoritative zones. The master and slaves respond to all queries, but they are responding as non-authoritative when querying against the servers' public IP. If I ssh to the server and nslookup the same A records using 127.0.0.1, it responds as authoritative. Anyone know how to fix this?

My first guess would be an issue with something in the zone file not being configured correctly. When you do a restart do you get any error or warning messages in the log?

Also, quoting from wikipeida:
BIND 8 was released by ISC in May 1997. BIND 4 and BIND 8 have both had a substantial number of serious security vulnerabilities over the years, and as such their use is now strongly discouraged.

Bind9, which has had its share of vulnerabilities is considerably better, especially if properly implemented and is also currently maintained. My strongest advice would be to scrap Bind8 and upgrade. You may find this fixing the problem in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back