Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Binary Compatibility Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelissaEvans

Programmer
Mar 8, 2001
US
OK... This is something that I thought I understood, but apparently do not. *sigh* I have developed an OCX with Binary Compatibility. The file that it's pointing to is the current version of the OCX. I don't know what it's doing with this file. I had assumed it was checking for differences between what is there and what's being compiled to be sure it's "compatible." I added some methods, and recompiled it. It recompiled just fine. All seemed well. Then I gave the new OCX (and shell since the shell also changed - the shell had been recompiled with the new ocx also) to our customers. They're getting the errir, "Failed to activate control 'VB.UserControl'. This control may be incompatible with your application. Make sure that you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application."

MSDN says the resolution is to "Ensure that the Binary Compatibility is alwasy set to the latest version of your ActiveX component, or a version that includes all Public Methods and Properties." As far as I know, I'm doing this.

It also says to "reset the Binary Compatible file to the seoncd version of the ActiveX .ocs file." I haven't changed this file and am unsure what I should change it to and why.

The users had unregistered the old version, copied over the new version, then registered the new version of the OCX.

I hope that that's all the information you need. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
~Melissa

Hi Melissa,

There's much to say about binary compatibility but I understand you compiled your program with the new ocx and delivered both to your customers. Binary compatibility should not be an issue in this case.
I can only think of one thing: did you set the file increment version number in the Make tab of the Project Properties (ocx as well as exe)?

Herman :-Q

Yes I did set the version to increment automatically. Is this a good thing?

Yes, it's a good thing because when you're installing on another PC the control or exe will be copied over the older one because it has a higher version number.
I found a good explanation of a procedure to use in thread222-60854.
Maybe this helps.

Herman :-Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back