Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bill & Larry's Excellent Adventure (MTS and Oracle)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
About 3 years ago I set off on 'Bill and Larry's Excellent Adventure' otherwise known as trying to combine a project that was using VB /MTS /Oracle. After many false starts I believe that we now have a system that does most of what was intended. My problem is that I can change the code to improve perfromance, I can alter the hardware to improve performance and I can tune the database to improve performance. But stuck in the middle of this is a bloody black box called MTS, can anyone give me some generic hints / tips to employ when running MTS and Oracle. Any advice would help.

Many Thanks

Stuart

You should use MS ole db provider for Oracle to connect yo Oracle! I think the database driver is very important especially in MTS.
For my experience,MTS and MS SQL server cooperate very well!

Regards! [sig][/sig]

Hi Oracle DBA,

Exactly this, you have to use OLE DB Provider for Oracle,
or even Microsoft ODBC for Oracle version 2573... with comes with MDAC 2.6

MTS works better with Oracle 8, with version 7, the view XAVIEW.SQL which enables XA transactions the view DBA_PENDINGS_TRANSACTIONS doesn´t exists.

And although Microsoft recommends turn on Oracle-MTS, we turned it off. I recommend you to buy a book about MTS.

The article KB193893 in MS support should be reformulated by Microsoft, to include Oracle version 7.

But you can be sure that MTS improves a lot performance, I´am using it in a WEB mission critical system.

Rogerio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back