Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Big problem with Compaq server (200) m

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahale2

Technical User
May 30, 2001
US
Weird prompt "F1 to continue or F10 to enter patrition utilities" I'm at my wit's end-- no sleep everyone -- any advice? The real problem is the way the network was setup. The profiles and policies are stored on the PDC (Primary Domain Controller), instead of a file server. This means if the PDC is offline no user can login with profile or policy. I am trying to move the policies and profiles to a file server and off the PDC. This is a fairly easy yet still slightly complex tasks. All the profiles, NT user directories, Kixscript (Utilized to map drives in user's Citrix Metaframe sessions) are all stored on the PDC. Then the BDC will be able to authenticate users when the PDC is offline. The problem still lies with the PDC not coming back up when it boots, pausing at the F1 to continue F10 enter partition utilities. The server is a Compaq Prosignia 200.

I think this is a 'need more info' scenario...for starters you will want your config.pol file under your netlogon folder on the pdc...also make sure replication is running between the PDC/BDC..this way it doesn't matter if the PDC is offline, people will still be authenticated on the network. As for your PDC not booting up...what sort of hardware config do u have?..is it hooked up to a drive array? what happens if you push F1 to continue?

Also what happens if you press F10, to go into the partition utilities, then press F10 to save the new configuration. Have you added or removed any hardware from the system?

The F1 - F10 that you are experiencing is certainly at the hardware level and not at the OS. Ensure that you primary boot is your array controller if you do have one. The other, check your recovery options, at the bios level and browes your Compaq hardware configuration. Sorry for being vage,, but I can only suggest this right now.. hope this helps!

I've had this problem, and it was always when we had redundant PSUs in the machine that weren't plugged in (to the mains). The server ran ok when we pressed F1.

If they aren't plugged in, I suppose it sortof counts as a boot up error, and so we got the F1/F10 prompt.

When we plugged them in the problem did not reappear.

If you have hotplug power supplies, BrianFlanagan is right that if you don't have all the power supplies installed you will get a F1 prompt. If you reboot the system you will see a POST error of some type, more likely than not it will refer to your power supplies not plugged in.

If you don't have redundant power supplies than reboot the system and look for POST errors, YOU WILL HAVE A ERROR AT POST!, you just have to look for it, it is usually 4 numbers followed but a error ie. '1785-Array Configuration Lost.' That is just an example hopefully you never have to see this one or youre in big doo doo.

But seriously you DO have a error at post, if it is the power supplies plug all hotplug power supplies in; and if it isn't the power supplies call COMPAQ support and have the error looked at.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back