Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Big Problem Trying to Install Sidekick99 on Vista Home Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.

PPTrocks

Technical User
Oct 6, 2009
US
After 4 plus hours, I surrender and am going to ask how to get Sidekick99 on Vista Home Premium! And yes, I've extensively read FAQs and forum.

It is a relief there are so many of us trying to continue the use of Sidekick!

I have a Dell 1737 laptop with Vista Home Premium. I want to use Sidekick99 (not Sidekick98...I actually prefer 99).

1- I downloaded sidekick99b.exe, but says it is not able to run (yes, I tried Properties, and changing compatibility)
2- Then I simply copied my existing Starfish folders from my Windows XP computer to the Vista Home Premium laptop to the root of C:/ (not Program Files folder).
3- When trying to launch Sidekick99, I got the TIMESYNC.dll not found error message. I fixed that by copying the 3 files that had timesynch from my XP computer (go to Windows/system32 to find them). Anyway, I copied those 3 files to the same folder that has Sidekick.exe...and that error message went away
4- BUT, the next time I tried to launch Sidekick99, then I got the error message on not being able to find / cityinfo.dat (and yes, I tried the renaming to cityinfo.old, and that didn't work)

I also tried changing the compatibility of the Sidekick99.exe file and that also didn't work.

If I cannot get Sidekick99 on Vista, I'm at a dead end and will need to do the long-dreaded switch to another PIM (i'm not thrilled with Outlook, etc.)

Does anyone out there know how to get Sidekick 99 onto the current Vista Home Premium platform?? (or, how to really fix this cityinfo.dat current problem I have?)

Thank you incredibly much!!

Lor

Is the SK99 install file you use the ORIGINAL install file or a compressed version. There was an install problem for someone using a compressed SK98 install file. When he switched to the original install file it worked fine in Vista 64bit install. Check earlier entries for his account.
If you are looking for another PIM that is close to SK, I am will be using Essential PIM Pro which has almost all SK features and allows for use of pix of contacts as well. Not the same, but close. I will use it only if there is a future OS that won't allow SK98 install period.
I'm concerned about installing SK98 in Windows 7 which claims good backward compatibility. If that is so for SK98 it might be so for SK99 as well and a solution to your install problem. Just hoping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back