Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BIG PROBLEM - Domain access

Status
Not open for further replies.

cian

Technical User
Oct 11, 2001
Hi guys,
this is not a design issue but I'm not sure where to put this thread. My domain had been changed to a new server recently but now I am unable to access my control panel so i cant make a single change to my domain. My host says everything is ok their end and the problem must be my firewall. (my control panel uses ports blocked by most firewalls)
I can reach my control panel using dial up networking but 98.5% of the time I am using my companies LAN connection so cannot get in.
Obviously I cant change any firewall settings etc, the only changes I can make are on my PC, nothing else!

Do you think there is a way around this or do I have to give up my domain? :(

Help?

**new site coming soon**
**don't visit just yet**

P.S. I cant even access my Webmail! :(
:( :( :(
?É **new site coming soon**
**don't visit just yet**

Hi mate,

To me, this sounds like a problem at the hosts end..

"my control panel uses ports blocked by most firewalls"

I might have misunderstood what you mean but why would your firewall block the ports on a remote server? If this is the case, why does the host use it? Seems a bad business practise to alienate a lot of your customers...

Can you provide more details? Host, what changes you are trying to make etc..

For the webmail problem, try to get a script to access your mail from the browser..

If all else fails, I would move host..

Hope this helps Wullie

Hey Wullie,

Thanks a lot for your help, its really frustrating me!

To explain a little better. My domain was changed to a different server at my request. The new server has a new style control panel with many extra features. This change just happened yesterday and since then I cant log into the CP. I can still access the old CP so I dont understand how theres such a big difference between the two. But to quote tech support:
"Cpanel uses ports that are usually blocked by most firewalls:" and then he gives a short list of ports.

My host is Dzones.com which offer lots of good features so I'd prefer not to change.

Strange thing is that I can access my CP using dial up networking, but not when i'm on my LAN! Problem is i'm on the LAN 99% of the time!

I'd appreciate any ideas you might have?? :(

Thanks mate

Enda

Hi mate,

I personally cannot think of a way to solve this as I don't and have never used a control panel for a domain.. I still cannot see why the host would use this CP if users cannot access it..

You say that they offer a lot of good features, what features is it that you actually require? It seems pointless to have all these features when most of the time you will not be able to access them..

Can you also post the ports that they told you about? I am just curious..

Hope this helps

Wullie

Hi Wullie,

Well the features I like and would use are sub-domains, mySQL, mailing lists, message board etc etc Other hosts dont often offer these, and cost is a factor. Dzones give a lot for a low price. But of course if I cant access the CP then I have no choice but to move to another host.

FYI the ports I was told are 2082 (CP), 2086, 2087 ans 2095 (email).
Would it be possible for you or someone to try the address
If the login window pop ups then I know the problem is my end! I'd appreciate it.

Last question, any other good hosts out there?? :)

Thanks a million for your help!

É

I got a login box titled : 'Cpanel 4.5' Regards

Big Bad Dave

logo.gif

davidbyng@hotmail.com

Hi Dave,

Thanks!! Yep, it definitly seems to be my firewall. No choice but to switch host!

Thanks for your help Willie, Big Bad Dave!

É

Wait, wait, wait, wait...

Why don't you just open the ports in your firewall then?

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help. Well my host can give me a special deal but I lose the features I need.
Need to choose another host, recommendations? :)

thanks again
Enda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back