Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bidirectional VPN? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

florindaniel

Programmer
Dec 4, 2009
RO
Hello,
I have this situation: Two workstations, WS1 and WS2 (Windows7 professional) connected via native Windows VPN to a Windows Server
machine, hosting a SQL Server. The connections are initiated from the work stations and have different IP addresses each time
they connect.

My problem is I want to be able to connect from WS1 to WS2 (to another SQL server on that station) but I can't do it using the
stations name (i.e. WS2)! If I specify the (temporary) IP address all works fine but since that address changes that's not a
permanent solution.

What should I do to be able to connect using names instead of IPs (like WS2\<server_instance>\<database>)

Thank you

you can use names if you change the windows firewall settings inbound rules. by default it will only allow file and print share on local subnet. you can change to allow the subnet of the other side of the vpn, this has to be done on both machines

also make sure the netbois is enabled on the vpn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back