Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BICSI Installation Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffmoss26

Technical User
May 7, 2002
US
Hi,
Does anyone know where I can get the 2001 version of this book, either as a PDF, or any online bookstores for a cheaper price?
thanks,
jeff Jeff Moss
Warwick Communications, Inc
jeffmoss26@adelphia.net

I assume you are talking about the TDDM, I have the books and the CD, it is available on CD from BICSI. Keep in mind that the new addition is comming out soon if it isnt out already. Also, you may find older versions on ebay from time to time. Best bet is to join BICSI and buy the current one. It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

thanks,
actually, maybe i can save some $ (its actually for my dad),
by just asking the question i need the answer to.
His company is installing a phone system in an existing building, and another company is doing all the cabling. Both sides know that the old phone cabling has to be removed. What he needs to know is which company is responsible for the removal: the cabling company or the company that is doing the phones?

Jeff Jeff Moss
jeffmoss26@adelphia.net

I'm not sure the BICSI TDDM is going to specify that for you, here are a couple thoughts.

Where I live, we are required to perform installations under the National Electrical Code. Which means our installers are all licensed, and at the conclusion of the installation we have the project inspected by the electrical inspector, who signs off our permit.

I don't have the time to look it up tonite, but I believe the latest NEC requires the removal of abandoned wire when it is replaced. If the unused wire is in a position to be reused, we coil it and label it at both ends. This shows the wire is not 'abandoned' and we don't have to remove it. If it isnt going to be reused, we do pull it out or cut it back to where it is not accessible. My understanding for the ruling was that there are many installations where the load on the suspended ceiling from early (improper) cabling is to the point that the ceilings could fall. I've seen several like this. So, in an effort to clean things up, the unused cabling is removed.

I don't know how you guys do work, but I generally cover this kind of question in the bid or RFP for the job. It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD

again, thanks.
I forwarded the info to my dad. This is something that will go into a bid document, but they needed to know the answer first. Jeff Moss
jeffmoss26@adelphia.net

I've written a few bid specs for cable jobs and this is something that must definitely be spelled out, since neither the cable installer or the phone installer are obliged to do this as part of their primary duties. It is the customer's (e.g. building owner's) responsibility to insure the abandoned cable is removed and can hire anyone for this purpose. It seems more logical for the cable installation contractor to do it as they will be accessing many of the same pathways (attics, risers) when they're putting in new cable. In some instances, old cable may need to be removed first before new cable can be installed. Hope I didn't give you a too simplistic answer, telling you something you already know. Thanks.

Just depends on the job. Most re-wiring jobs are done for a reason, and the new cable must be pulled in and the customer cut over to it before the old cable can be removed. No matter how you intend to do it, best to certainly nail it down in the bid or RFP and make sure everyone knows who is doing what. It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD

thanks, all.
Daron, I think that the book is the TCIM, not the TDDM. I looked on the BICSI site and my dad said he needed the TCIM (his office only has the 1996 version).

I forwarded all the suggestions you gave me to my dad. I will let you know what happens

thanks again,
Jeff Jeff Moss
jeffmoss26@adelphia.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back