Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

/bHow do i stop mytcpip daemons from running on strtup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

baderoor

Programmer
May 9, 2000
ZA
im trying to disable my /btcpip ,nfs and nis services so that i can logon to the machine .ive commented out the nis&nfs lines in the inittab file and removed the resolv.conf file but it still looks for the domain,can anyone help me disable the tcpip daemons or just help me starting the machine without looking for the domainserver or tcpip services,i need to get this box up and running and im not winning here.<br><br>

You can edit your <b>/etc/inittab</b> file and search for the line:<FONT FACE=monospace>rc.tcpip:2:<b>wait</b>:/etc/<b>rc.tcpip</b> ....</font>and change that line for<FONT FACE=monospace>rc.tcpip:2:<b>off</b>:/etc/<b>rc.tcpip</b> ...</font>You can search for the line about <b>/etc/rc.nfs</b> and set it <b>off</b> too.I hope it works...

thanks for the help guys much appreciated.one other question ,so once the tcpip is off you should be able to login to the box ,but what happens when it hangs when it starts the CDE ?how do you fix that ?

banderoor,<br><br>Would it not be easier to change /etc/filesystems and change the nfs filesystems to mount=false and then comment out ypind and the domainname from the /etc/rc.nfs file. Also, move /etc/resolv.conf away to another name and also move /etc/netsvc.conf away to another name also, if you use it. Why do you not want to startup rc.tcpip?<br><br>I hope that may help.<br><br>Paul

Your desktop is hanging because it uses TCP/IP, tipical are problems with the name resolution... try working <b>without</b> a GUI... can't you?I hope it works....

ElgisRamon is right, you have to have tcp/ip in order to run CDE.&nbsp;&nbsp;After all each window is a client.&nbsp;&nbsp;Most important is your local loopback.&nbsp;&nbsp;Whenever your CDE hangs, try running:<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;# ifconfig lo0 up<br><br><br>Also, when it does hang, you can use &lt;cntl&gt; &lt;alt&gt; &lt;backspace&gt; to recover.<br> <p>Doug Tyre<br><a href=mailto:dtyre@miami.edu>dtyre@miami.edu</a><br><a href= Information Systems Institute (at UM)</a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back