Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BGP multihomed Routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioX

IS-IT--Management
May 15, 2001
US
I am multihomed with my two providers. Both providers are accepting routes from me. The problem I have is provider 1 ips are going in provider 2 pipes. I only want this to happen when provider 1 fails. Is there a weigh to configure the routes so that this will happen. I am using BGP with my two providers.

Be very careful. If both ISPs are accepting routes you can easily find yourself becoming the best path to foreign AS's. You can also end up black hole-ing someone. Both would be really bad. The simple fix is to change the local preference for isp 1's AS and perhaps change it's weight on the router to isp 2. I advise you not to fiddle with the configs unless you're absolutely sure of the results since an error can really suck (for you as well as others).
-Jeff ----------------------------------------
Wassabi Pop Tarts! Write Kellogs today!

You should only be advertising your IPs period.

I.e. If your public netblock was 1.1.1.0/24, you could make a prefix-list to only allow that netblock to be sent to your neighbors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back