Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BFILE or BLOB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaxtell

Programmer
Sep 11, 2007
US
I'm about to add a new feature to my company's system but am having trouble deciding if I should use BFILE or BLOB. Here is the basic scenario. Our system has object type (contact , address, order, rma, etc) that can be associated with other types (contact with a site, order with a contact ...). I want to add a new type, file, to be associated with another type. So if someone wants to attach a document or spreadsheet or visio diagram to a contact/address/order/rma they'll be able to, via a java/jsp front end. Ideally, the customer will be able to attach files too, based on some SOA implementation on our external web site. I think I could have java save the file on a share and then tell oracle to insert a record in a table referencing that file (BFILE). I could just as easily convert the file to a BLOB and store it in the database. It seems like putting it in the database would have some benefits, but I'm guessing there is some performance drawback. Does anyone have a suggestion on which one I should use and why? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-----------------------------------------
I cannot be bought. Find leasing information at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back