Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Beware IBM Hard drives DJN-371350, 13.5 gig, 7200 rpm

Status
Not open for further replies.

nato308

Technical User
Nov 18, 2003
US
A friend brought me her computer because it started having problems booting, I could not get the computer to turn on. I checked the power supply, it was good. I disconnected all of the peripherals except the video card still no luck, tried a different video card, again no luck. Pulled the processor, memory, and video card and tried them on another motherboard same manufacturer, it started right up. Here is where it gets interesting! I installed the new motherboard, installed all the cards, hooked up the drives, turned on the computer and it would not boot, the fans could be heard to rev up to speed than slow way down for several seconds than rev up to full speed again. Although I had checked the power supply, I figured this might still be a problem, tried another power supply, same thing?? Pulled all the drive controller cables and all cards except video, the machine would boot, but the mouse port would no longer work!! Tried a different brand motherboard and different brand processor different memory, would not boot. Tried a different power supply, it came right up!! Started plugging in cards one at a time and turning on the computer, got all cards installed, no problem. Hooked up power to the CD roms, floppy, and the IBM hard drive, no problem. THEN, I hooked up the controller cable for the hard drive, and again the fans could be heard to rev up to speed than slow way down for several seconds than rev up to full speed again, this time this motherboard was totally fried. Although the drive was out of warranty I called Hitachi anyway, they basically said tough luck the drive is out of warranty, not their problem. So I am out three motherboards and a power supply because they built a drive that can fail and allow voltage to travel someplace it should not destroying motherboards and power supplies.. So I am saying BEWARE STRANGE COMPUTER BEHAVIOR WITH AN IBM Model: DJNA-371350 13.5 gig 7200 rpm hard drive installed, it could cost you more than what the drive is worth. I myself will now stay away from Hitachi / IBM hard drives.

An interesting note here, I was able to recover all data from this drive by connecting it to a Promise Ultra 66 controller, the voltage leak does not seem to affect the Promise controllers as it does the built in motherboard controllers.

I am going to contradict your conclusion here and say that although your hard drive was indeed faulty, that I suspect it was the original power supply that damaged the IBM HD and not the other way around.
Once damaged the HD then shorts or partially shorts to ground damaging anything connected to it, especially another new power supply.
When you work like I do, in a repair shop, everytime you get a PC in with a blown PSU you run the risk of blowing the new replacement unit the second it is plugged in, because of the possibility of a PSU damaged hard drive!
Technical users in the know, always buy quality power supplies at least for themselves :>)
Enermax, Antec, Sparkle, Vantec etc
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back