Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Between a rock and a password... 2900XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miles104

MIS
May 21, 2001
US
I got myself in a nice mess. I am trying to salvage equipment from my company's last restructuring efforts to set up a remote site. The 2900XL given to me to use is locked down pretty tight and there is no one left in my department that knows anything about this little beauty. I am trying to reset the password to get into the IOS, but when following the docs I hit a dead end. I get to the command "dir flash" and the switch returns "unable to stat flash/: permission denied". So I cannot get to rename config.txt file. Does anyone know a nifty trick to get around this?

Miles104

Have done these steps and gotten the error message?

Type flash_init

Type load_helper

Type dir flash:

You can not get the DIR without the load_helper in place.

MikeS
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

load_helper does not error out, it is followed by a command prompt.

switch: flash_init
Initializing Flash...
flashfs[0]: 172 files, 4 directories
flashfs[0]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories
flashfs[0]: Total bytes: 3612672
flashfs[0]: Bytes used: 1831936
flashfs[0]: Bytes available: 1780736
flashfs[0]: flashfs fsck took 6 seconds.
...done Initializing Flash.
Boot Sector Filesystem (bs:) installed, fsid: 3
Parameter Block Filesystem (pb:) installed, fsid: 4
switch: load_helper
switch: dir flash
unable to stat flash/: permission denied
switch:

does that help ?
Miles104

Fixed, Lesson learned today is to try harder before bugging someone else. I just ran the command : "rename flash:config.text flash:config.old" after the error and it worked. I am new at this, but the neurons are firing :)

Thanks for the trouble.

Miles104

I was going to say that on the printout you pasted in... you had forgotten to put : at the end of the DIR FLASH :))

MikeS

"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back