Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Better Understanding Suspicious Temp and other File Content

Status
Not open for further replies.

vop

Technical User
Mar 30, 2001
CA
In a previous thread (Do you know what is in your temp files? Maybe you ought to?) I identified TEMP files that were very suspicious in nature and worthy of concern:

Such files had extracts from my hosts file and refused to be be deleted. Why were they there and what was their purpose?

I have since discovered a freeware tool that links each of those *.TMP files to a valid running process. It is called 'Process Explorer'
Using the rightmost search button you can type a search string such as TMP, DAT, EXE, etc. This tool may very well become a critical component in understanding any unresolved questions as to what may be going on in your computer. In my case, I was able to establish that each TMP file only occurs when a given security tool is running.

BONUS: You can also KILL any given process within this tool.

Thanks for sharing this find!! I believe its a must in the battle against malware. Small enough to fit on a floppy and run. Good post!

Unix IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back