Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Better to convert from IDCS1 or the original PageMaker? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigred33

Programmer
Mar 19, 2003
US
I have a document (a book of about 200 pages, graphics, text, layout-heavy) that must be converted into IDCS2. I have two source documents: the PageMaker 6.5 document in which the book was originally designed and a later document which had at some point been converted into IDCS1.

Here's the question--considering all the PM file corruption issues, would it be better (safer) to do a diagnostic recompose from PM on the original PM document and rely on CS2's conversion to be smoother than that of the existing CS1 conversion?

The reason I am concerned is because I have converted several other books like this one from PM into CS2 and the conversion is pretty shabby. I will most likely just go and convert both into CS2 and see which one looks better, but at the same time I am wondering if there is a proper way to do this and if so which way is considered better.

Why do you want to convert the book? Are you making a new edition of it?
Anyhow, as you said it is heavy, you will have to stand the shabbiness of it since somehow the original layout from PM has to change during conversion to INDD.
Otherwise to what I know, you are on the right track to convert directly to CS2 other than CS1.

Since the thing is already indesign 3, there is no reason that it should not open just fine in 4. The only caveat is that, if you used any scripts or plugins in teh 3 version, make sure you have them for the 4 version.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back