Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Better Print Preview Class??

Status
Not open for further replies.

taysys

Programmer
Dec 7, 2001
US
Using VFP 7 and Codemine 7.1 framework.

I need to add some options to the print preview which will go to report too. I am looking for page jumps, scanning for particular keywords, etc. I didn't want to invent the wheel if there was a class already available.

Thanks to all.

Bob Taylor

Bob,

You might want to take a look at the Minds Eye Reporting Engine ( It seems to do everything you want, plus a lot more. Doug Hennig wrote a review of it in the May 2003 FoxTalk.

A more drastic solution would be to switch to Crystal Reports, which has a fully programmamble viewer. The advantage of Minds Eye is that it will work with your existing FRX files, which CR won't.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

taysys

FAQ184-3503
Shows you how to use the internet explorer's preview mode for a table.
1. The possibility to preview more than 1 page at a time (I tested up to nine but you can do more)
2. Zoom factor up to 500%
3. You can change your pagesetup right in the preview mode.
4. Automatic pagecount.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Mike,
can you please explain how to use it with the .frx file we have already made. i.e if I am having podetail.frx then how can I get preview it in this internet mode.

Please explain...

FoxKid

The suggestion I made does not require an actual report file, but rather an HTML file. Unfortunately all the solutions I can think of would require you to move away from the native Foxpro report to something else, except maybe generating a PDF document from your FRX and sending it to Adobe Acrobat reader or using Mike Lewis' suggestion. But either solutions are attached to a cost (Although there are ways to generate a PDF for free as in faq184-2143), but the contorsions you need to do might not be worth the result.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

FoxKid

If you follow the suggestion that Mike made concerning generating a PDF document from your report, the current Adobe Reader 6.0, (Acrobat has now been dropped from the title), offers a zoom factor from 8.33% to 6400%, which should cover most users requirements! [dazed]

FAQ184-2483 - the answer to getting answered.​
Chris [pc2]

Chris

I noticed you make a reference to your pdf commander in your signature...is it ready for market? If you so would this be a solution for Foxkid?

Mike Gagnon

Mike

Unfortunately, it's not yet ready but would provide an answer to FoxKid's requirements.

It features a preview facility for reports from any Windows application as a .pdf. It also allows report output to be programatically named and saved as a .pdf from within the application without user intervention.

Chris [pc2]

FoxKid

As the site rules forbid promoting and selling, I can't answer your question in this forum.

What I can explain is how, as a developer, you 'communicate' with PDFcommander, and the code that follows could be simplified and modified for use in your own application.

SET TEXTMERGE ON TO C:\temp\reportname.txt NOSHOW
\\Preview
SET TEXTMERGE TO
SET TEXTMERGE TO

That code determines whether or not you want to simply preview the output from your report. Your application 'reads' the textfile - the word preview triggers a routine whereby your application creates the preview.pdf, displays it in the Adobe Reader and then deletes preview.pdf when Adobe Reader is closed.

SET TEXTMERGE ON TO C:\temp\reportname.txt NOSHOW
\\D:\My Application\Report output.pdf
SET TEXTMERGE OFF
SET TEXTMERGE TO

That code determines the name of the .pdf file, which is hard coded for this example. Change the string to <<variable>>, <<ALLT(TABLENAME.filename>>, or <<aMyArray[1]>> and you can change the name programatically.

faq184-2143 would get you started.

Chris [pc2]

Chris

As the site rules forbid promoting and selling, I can't answer your question in this forum.

Classy move...

Mike Gagnon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back