Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Better performance with 90 watt over 65 watt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trana

Technical User
Nov 2, 2002
AU
Hello,

This probably sounds like a very stupid question to anyone who knows anything about electricity, but I dont, hence the question.

I recently undocked and redocked a laptop, when redocking it, Windows told me that I would better performace if I replaced the 65 Watt power supply with a 90 Watt power supply.

Does that effect the computers general performance or is it just the battery charge time that is effected?

The computer is in fact slow so I basically wondering if it would be quicker with a 90 Watts power supply.

Thank you and best regards,
Trana

Turn your laptop upside down and check all the fine print. Somewhere it should list the Watts and Amps that your laptop requires. Then check to see if this matches what is labeled on your power adapter.

There are some docking stations that use a different power adapter than the laptop. This is because one docking station model usually works for a variety of laptop models (HP comes to mind). So perhaps the message you were seeing is only referring to the docking station power supply and not the adapter that came with your laptop.

...and to answer your question, no. The Watt rating should not have a direct impact on performance. Either your laptop turns on or it doesn't. It could affect charging time, but even that is questionable.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

As cdogg says, it usually either works or it doesn't. Under some circumstances, an under-powered PSU will get too hot, and could ultimately die much sooner than expected.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

My experience tells me the 90 watters are for dock station/replicator ports, whatever you want to call them.
They need this power to drive everything.
The 65 watters are for just the laptop alone, when NOT docked.
So rule of thumb - 90 watter ALWAYS stays plugged into the dock station, the 65 watter is for when you go mobile with your laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back