Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Better display names within the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Lewis

Programmer
Jan 10, 2003
Scotland
www.ml-consult.co.uk
There has been a bit of discussion here recently about making better use of display names within the forum. A display name is the name of a forum member, as it appears in that person's posts and also, for example, in the MVP list and under "Who's Marked This Thread?" My own display name, for example, is "Mike Lewis".

Since this discussion was tacked onto the end of a couple of non-related threads, I thought I would summarise it here.

The general feeling is that a display name should represent the member's real name, rather than an arbitrary name or character string that has no meaning to other members, for example "Koen Pillar" rather "Jockey2". The idea is that this will make discussions more personal and help keep things friendly.

I stress that this is entirely optional. It does not represent official forum policy. There might be good reasons for members not to want to reveal their real names, and they are free to remain anonymous.

For those who are happy to change their display name, the procedure is as follows:

1. Look for the drop-down menu labelled "My Stuff" near the top of this page.

2. Select "My Profile".

3. In the resulting form, edit the "Display Name" field (not the User Name).

4. Click Submit. (You don't need to enter your password at this point.)

Ideally, your display name should follow the normal English convention, that is, your first name followed by your last name, in proper case, with a space between them. That way, members will know how to address you informally by your first name.

I hope forum members will consider taking this up - but do keep in mind that it is entirely optional.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Yes, using your own name is optional. However, by using your own name instead of some alias, you can expect much more help. I can only talk for myself, who has completely stopped helping people who doesn't use their real name. The only exception I make, is when someone gives a very good reason why they don't. I do realize that such reasons exist, without mentioning any.

While one the subject, I have a few more wishes:
[ul]
[li]If you ask for help, please mark the helpful messages accordingly, it will help others.[/li]
[li]And gratitude is appreciated.[/li]
[li]Don't delete a thread after you have received the help you wanted. This forum is not only for your benefit, others may have the same or a similar problem.[/li]
[/ul]

Tore Bleken said:
I can only talk for myself, who has completely stopped helping people who doesn't use their real name.

It's your prerogative of course but that's a bit harsh considering until recently you used "Tbleken" as your user name and I'd completely no idea that was your initial and name combined.

Regards,
David

In case you have trouble understanding what I and many others write, here comes:
a: Yes (And no, not if you change the display name into your REAL name. Using a fake name which sounds like a real one means that you will be a two headed troll)
b: Right, no more help or advice
Let this be the last message from you on this matter, since now you really are trolling.

David,

While "G4NVB" is the type of display name that we would prefer to discourage, the fact that you are using a real name in your signature partly mitigages that. It means that I can address this reply to "David", which is reasonable, rather than "G4NVB", which seems somewhat unnatural.

So, please don't be discouraged by the earlier replies you received in this thread. I, for one, know that you are not a troll. You have always asked sensible questions in the forum, and have diligently thanked the people who have replied to you. If you felt able to change your display name to a meaningful name, that would be useful, but it is by no means a condition for getting help.

By the way, I believe you are active in amateur radio. Is "G4NVB" some sort of call sign?

Mike

Mike,

I don't think that using a radio amateur callsign in a forum which isn't by far a radio amateur forum, is appropriate. Just like you are given a nickname if you are a member of some clubs a la the Freemasons, that nickname isn't relevant outside that community. Should I use my car registration number as a nickname?

If David is so proud of his radio callsign that he prefers it to his own name, or is too afraid of using his real identity, then he is in deed a troll according to the definitions I use.

Sincerely, LJ55874

>trouble understanding what I and many others write, here comes

Erm ... I'm getting the impression that whilst some others agree that a real name display might be desirable in this forum, no-one else seems to agree with your view that not using one is somehow clear evidence of a troll. Nor do I see anyone at all agreeing with your view that a user using "some alias" should not receive assistance. And, as David effectively points out, how would you necessarily know that a 'real name' actually is a real name.

I can't tell a real name from a fake name which sounds like a real one. But I am pretty sure that no one has a given name of Strongm, G4NVB or Newtovfp. If you really want to fool me, I am easily fooled. However, that doesn't necessarily make me gullible.

The bottom line is, and as mentioned before, I make my own decision regarding to whom I will offer assistance. If you want my assistance, you know the rules.

First of all, I would like to thank Mike Lewis for his kind words and to offer my sincere apologies for disrupting his thread.

Thank you to strongm also for your support.

I frequent numerous Forums on several different subjects and have never been referred to as a “Troll”. Although I’ve been called things a lot worse than a “Troll” I am still offended by that comment.

Mike you are correct in that G4NVB is my Amateur Radio Callsign. The reason I changed it to G4NVB is so that it would identify me as a Radio Amateur to any other VFP Tek-Tips Forum Users throughout the world with the same interests.

Off Topic.
Mike I recently came across your article on “Programmatically calculate distances between UK postcodes” and converted some the code for use in my Amateur Radio Application. We discussed another part of that application here ( I was going start a new thread and ask a few more questions about your code, but that will have to wait until I am in a different frame of mind.

Regards,
David

David said:
The reason I changed it to G4NVB is so that it would identify me as a Radio Amateur to any other VFP Tek-Tips Forum Users throughout the world with the same interests.

Another way to achieve that goal would be to put the call sign in your signature. By the way, I only asked about the call sign out of curiosity. I definitely didn't mean to suggest that you don't use it.

Regarding the UK postcode question, I'd be happy to discuss that further when you are ready. Just start a new thread at that time.

Mike

Mike Lewis said:
Another way to achieve that goal would be to put the call sign in your signature.

I've amended my signature to include my Callsign.

By the way, I only asked about the call sign out of curiosity.I definitely didn't mean to suggest that you don't use it.

No, as it was felt "inappropriate" I changed my user name back to the one I signed up with and have had no previous complaints. I won't be changing my number plates though! I did consider using "46245 City of London" as a user name but that would have gone down like a lead balloon.

I'll raise a new topic to discuss adding "Beam Headings" to my adaptation of your "How to Programmatically calculate distances between UK postcodes” at some stage.

Once again, sorry for messing up your thread.

Regards,
David G4NVB

If David is so proud of his radio callsign that he prefers it to his own name, or is too afraid of using his real identity, then he is in deed a troll according to the definitions I use.

Ummm... except with his call sign, I can find out his real name, address....

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

gbaughma said:
Ummm... except with his call sign, I can find out his real name, address....

Exactly ! !

Regards,

David (G4NVB)

Tore: I, too, prefer people to use their real names. That said, I know that a number of women prefer not to in lots of Internet forums because they find they get unwanted attention or don't get take seriously. (Because most people don't know offhand that "Tamar" is a female name, it hasn't been an issue for me.)

This week, I read a piece by a fiction writer who experimented by sending the same material to agents using her own name or using a man's name and found that she got a much higher positive response rate using a man's name. Then I saw this article:
So while I'd prefer to be in a world where that stuff didn't matter, it does.

Tamar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back