Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best ways to secure Win2k Advanced Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cervantes

MIS
Apr 1, 2003
CA
Hey all. I'm setting up a new server here at home, and I'm looking for some advice on the best ways to secure it from all the little bastards out there. It'll be replacing my existing 2000 Pro server, which does NAT & DHCP for all the computer here. I'll be making a Domain and hopefully doing MAC or client authentication.
I'm already planning the basics... daily auto-install Windows-Updates, ZoneAlarm, insanely hard Admin passwords, a virus scanner (if I can get the bastard thing to work).

What else would ya'll suggest? What experience have you had with different setups and/or programs?

Actually, I would also be interested in any replies. More specifically, does anyone know of a good site or resource with a nice "checklist" to harden the server? While I know most of the well known practices, it would be nice to have a documented form with all the more obscure tricks.

Thanks for any replies.
jt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back