Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to Upgrade Groupwise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

benbeneke

IS-IT--Management
Dec 5, 2002
AU
Hi All,

My next project is almost ready to start so……….

What are your recommendations for best strategy to take for upgrading my email server?

This is going to be a multi upgrade to make matters worse as I am upgrading hardware, NOS, and GW version.

Current setup is:

Very old hardware running NW4.11 (sp’s are upto date)
GW5.2 with 1 domain and 1 post office
Domain has: ADA, MTA, GWIA and WebAccess
Post office has 1 POA

I have 40 users and cannot loose email or address books during this upgrade.

New setup will be:

New Intel whitebox running NW6 SP3
GW6.5

I figure my options are:

Migrate NW4.11 from old machine to NW6 on new machine then inplace upgrade GW

Build new NW6 server, move GW5.2 over to new machine (Possible??) then upgrade to GW6.5

Or is there another better way? As always, time and safety of data are the biggest factors. Would need to complete the upgrade over a weekend to ensure no loss of service.

Alternatively Is it possible/desirable to build a new NW6 + GW6.5 machine and recreate the users/resources and then move/import their email and address books?

Are there any pitfalls to look out for??

All help appreciated as always

If I was in your shoes (and I have been) I would bring up the new server, make a backup of GW from the old box, and then put your existing GW system on that server. Once you have at least one good backup of the system on the new box, then you could upgrade GW. But, before performing your upgrade I would suggest that you purchase Tay Katzer's guide for upgrading GW. In the guide Kratzer tells you what to watch out for during the upgrade (pitfalls). I use his guides like a bible when doing an upgrade. And he has been dead on as to what to look out for.

This is what I would do if I was presented with your situation.

FarOut
V-Peace-V

Check out this TID 10014112. Usually the GWIA causes the most problems when you move the Domain to a new drive or a new server.

HTH
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back