Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to subset a table? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loomis

Programmer
Jan 4, 2000
US
Using VFP9, I have a table with 200,000 records. A recordtype field in the table is used to hold one of five values (A, B, C, D, E). Then, one of five pages in a pageframe is used to display each of the five recordtypes. For example, page 1 displays records of recordtype='A', page 2 displays records of recordtype='B', etc. Once the appropriate subset is displayed, records are updated by the end user. My question: What is the quickest way to display a subset of the table so that the results appear almost instantaneously. Should I use the "Set Filter To" command? Create a view for each page? I don't want to split the big table into five small ones. Thanks!

Set filter is very slow. I would use a SELECT statement into an updateable cursor or a View.

Select <<A>> from <<yourtable>> order by <<yourorder>> into cursor csrPageA

Then use that cursor in a grid for each page.

This is a Job for Andy or Marcia, and the other heavy hitters, I am quite sure they have "Been There Done That".

Don Higgins

Do as Don says but make sure you've got an index on the field you're using for the selection. The query will run faster if the index exists and faster again if you use SET ORDER TO to leave the table unordered.

Geoff Franklin

I ran into the 24 item limitation and came up with this solution.

1] Create an array of the key values
2] Do a SELECT where the WHERE clause uses an ASCAN to match up with the array list.

Code:
SELECT myField from myTable WHERE ... INTO ARRAY myList

SELECT field1, field2, ... field99 FROM ;
myOtherTable INTO CURSOR curResults ;
WHERE ASCAN(myList,myField1) <> 0

Steve

Ignore this... I put it in the wrong thread....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back