Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to store and retrieve encrypted password?

Status
Not open for further replies.

j0em0mma

Programmer
Jul 31, 2003
US
What would be the best way to store an encrypted (Synchronous) password outside of the application?

I have an encrypted password (Courtesy of wumpus1 at
Code:
            Dim sym As New Encryption.Symmetric(Encryption.Symmetric.Provider.Rijndael)
            Dim key As New Encryption.Data("My Password")
            Dim encryptedData As Encryption.Data
            encryptedData = sym.Encrypt(New Encryption.Data("Secret Sauce"), key)
            Dim base64EncryptedString As String = encryptedData.ToBase64

in ASP.net, I'd just tuck
Code:
base64EncryptedString
in the web.config file and extract in whenever I need in the code. I can't figure out quite how to do this the right way in win32 exectuables (VB.NET). I notice that my project includes a file called app.config, but I don't see an area for custom data here. Additionally, from what I've read, this file has the wrong name for it to function once compiled (my project name is DOJTRS. Shouldn't the app.config file be named DOJTRS.exe.config? If so, how is the thing compiling at all?

Got it,

Code:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvs05/html/vbmysettings.asp[/URL]

sorry for the clutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back