Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to see what web pages users are going to 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelochnessmoron

IS-IT--Management
Feb 12, 2002
US
I was wondering on what everyones thoughts are in finding / tracking what web pages employees are going to. I'm new to the company and this is the first time I've had to do something like this X-) . Users all have 2000 pro with a couple 98 machines tossed in. Right now I'm going to each users PC and copying their history over to my machine for review. Is there a better way to do this, or a way that is more informative? I'm aware that users can cover their tracks by deleting their history, fortunately the users aren't. I have a cisco firewall and win 2k server if that's helpful. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!

As far as a best way you will get many opinions. I prefer the use of a transparent proxy with logging enabled. All sites any user visits will be logged. It also has the added bonus of speeding up internet connections. Something worth looking in to.

Also, some firewalls have built in logging that may do what you are looking for.

Another alternative is using one of the many software packages available on the web to monitor and control internet traffic for your company. Some searching around for "web monitoring" or "internet monitoring" should get you what you need. I am not familiar with these, but know that they are out there.

Hope this helped.
Roger

As well as logging as Meldric suggested, you could use NETBOY from NDG Software. It has three packages, etherboy, packetboy and webboy. Webboy is the one you want as it gives you a graphical display of employees connecting to websites and give you loads of reports e.g.
top 10 URLs visited
top 10 bytes senders
top 10 bytes senders

You should give it a go.

Good luck

Thank you, I am looking into webboy, and also found another monitoring software peice called starr at computer-snooper.com that I am going to test out.

Don't know if this applies for this user but I just use the reports feature on my ISA server managment tools. DEoesn't give tons, but tells me who's using what and for how long and if something seems to be getting out of hand I just give the user a little heads up and they ususally drop down the list pretty fast.
In your ISA mannagement choose your server then monitoring/reports for all your summary needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back