Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to remove server from domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

julianf

IS-IT--Management
Nov 26, 2001
ZA
Hi,

NT is really p**** me off!!! I am pushing exchnage 5.5 to a new server. I have copied exchange DB to the new server....and switched the old exchange server off and pulled out it's network cable. I have removed it from server manager and gien it's some time to synchronise. 20 min later, I still cannot rename the new exchange server to the old one...it says "The computer name exists"....

Freaking heck...how long does NT need to release the name. Does WINS or DNS play a part in keeping the name?

I have also tried rebooting the PDC a couple of time4s and the other BDC's, but to no avail....I guess I will have to sit around for the next 2 hours hoping that this stip thing will eventually work!

Any ideas on how to "politely" force NT to release the name. I thought of renaming the new server with it's network cable pplugged out....and then rebooting...but that may cause more hassles...Active Directory....here I come!

;-)

You got it, be patient. I would say stopping and starting the browser on the pdc, but rebooting did that already.

Hi,

What is ur DNS server.
Most of the time the name resides on the dns server.
Check it out.
OR
On cmd prompt give this commnad
ipconfig /flushdns.

Try it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back