Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to publish data from an SQL Server database to the Web

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davin

Programmer
Sep 18, 2000
CA
I am looking for some opinions on the best way to publish data from a SQL Server 7.0/2000 database to the Web (ASP,JSP,CGI ...).

Does anyone have any preferences, comments or suggestions?

Our choice here is to use the Microsoft .Net framework. The learning curve is a pretty steep, but once you get past it you won't go back to the old ways. Worth it for the debugging and design tools alone! And the web controls have made life much simpler when it comes to maintenance of pages. It also will automatically clean up unused connections thus freeing up your SQL server resources before they become overloaded.

Now having said that I would point out that the kind of web sites we build are full-featured business applications. If we were doing simple projects, I don't know if it would be worth the cost and learning curve.

Davin - I have used the Web Assistant with good results.
you can specify time intervals that the page gets rebuilt, so that the info is always current.

But there are several disadvantages to using the Web Assistant.
It builds a simple HTML page automatically. You are very limited as to controlling the appearance of the layout because the HTML code gets rebuilt each time the Web Assistant job fires. You can specify links though.

The one advantage is that it is easy and the page rebuilds automatically at the time interval you specify.

If all you need is a plain-looking page, it will do OK.

John

You might be interested in faq181-1196. I know it says "Access", but the same means work for both.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back