Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to learn way round linux/red hat

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewP

Programmer
Jan 16, 2001
GB
I've just had to move a site to it's own linux server which is red hat 6.0, and had to do stuff like set up MySQL users and install software for the first time, which I've somehow managed to do after about 4 weeks. I'm looking for a good reference book to find my way around the system properly now, from scratch up to expert, and hoping for a recommendation from someone, as the whole thing is confusing me like you wouldn't believe!

I need to know stuff like what all the directories are for, where error logs are, what exactly is bash etc.. Too many questions, I seem to have got somewhere but am seriously missing some good basic information...

Any help would be much appreciated,
Thanks,
Matt.

O'Reilly's Linux in a Nutshell (3rd Edition) book is the best Linux reference book around. It won't teach you Linux from scratch, but its a lot better than looking at man and info pages. It tells you about all the commands and their options and even shows you examples of them (something the man pages don't do). You can get it at Amazon below...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back