Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Way to Learn Business Objects

Status
Not open for further replies.

AyJayEL

Technical User
Jan 30, 2001
GB
It looks as though a couple of the new systems coming in where I work will be using Business Objects as their data reporting tool. I already write Crystal Reports but I want to be ahead of the game. What is the best way to learn Business Objects? I am based in England, don't have a lot of spare cash (too many children to support, eek) and I work full time. Any learning resources recommendations will be gratefully received. Anyone learnt to use it at college, online, from a book.

Obviously Tek-Tips is a good resource!

Learn something new every day *:->*
AyJayEl

In my experience (based on working with BO from 1996 onwards) the real challenge is in the designer (database stucture) part. Creating reports takes a bit of practising ,but you will pretty quickly run into the limits of the reporting module. Straight forward reports are a breeze, the mentioned forum will give you excellent tips on how to trick the report module to give more advanced reports.

Focus on universe design , cause ultimately there are the greatest gains to be made and if you get that part right it will really show off at the reporting site.

Trying to set up a peer to peer relationship with other developers is a great stimulus for getting a fresh outlook on the subject............

T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Thanks for the tips. Can you explain Universe Design? I don't recognise the terminology but perhaps I know it as something else.

Learn something new every day *:->*
AyJayEl

Typically BO reports use Universe as data-provider. This is a semantic layer where you define relations between your database tables/views. The structure and properties of the universe determine the exact SQL that reporter creates when you create a dataprovider using query panel. A universe in designer module is not unlike a database diagram as viewed in database modelling tools............

T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back