Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to install a modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swanky

Programmer
Jul 17, 2001
US
After a major crash and reinstall of SCO 5.0.5, I am now left with 2 modems that don't want to work. I have read through a lot of the articles here and it looks like the concensus is that modems are a pain.

They used to work fine before.

Can someone give me their tried and true way to get these back up and running? They are on tty1a and 2a. Our vendor suggested 1a and 2a worked better than 1A and 2A. They are USR 33 or 56K externals. One is meant mainly for data transmission between UNIX boxes, the other for dial-up support. We generally set the suppoert modem for 19200.

Thanks,
-Tim glazner@cs.utk.edu

modems should be on 1A & 2A. allows dial in from outside.
if you are dialing out Devices should have 1A & 2A as ACU and 1a and 2a as direct
Devices should also have the 19.2 in the speed, unless you want to allow it to float. I set all mine to fixed, along with hayes2400 dialer and use &n12 + &u12 to set mine at 9600.
I also fix my gettydefs tokens for fixed speeds, tokens 1,2,& 3 for fixed speeds so they point back at themselves rather that rotationg among speeds. And do the token in /etc/inittab and conf.d/sio so they agree.
Somewhat of a pain to do it all, but takes at most 10 minutes to set them up. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Modems on sco......
personally i like to fix the link between the modem and the unix system (ie 38400) with hardware flow control and let the modem do the speed negotiations.
I use them on the standard com ports or other serial ports like a digiboard.

Here are some examples of the other configuration files you do need to modify.

/etc/inittab (/etc/conf/init.d/epca and sio) eg.
Se1A:234:respawn:/etc/getty -t60 tty1A hard8
EA10:23:respawn:/etc/getty ttyA10 hard8

/etc/gettydefs
hard8 # B38400 HUPCL # B38400 CS8 SANE HUPCL TAB3 ICANON ECHOE -CLOCAL -IXON -IX
OFF RTSFLOW CTSFLOW #\r\n@!login: # hard8

usr/lib/uucp/Devices
ACU ttyA10 - 38400 atdialUSR

Have fun, it should work
stan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back