Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to handle Macro Disabling 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceilingfan83

IS-IT--Management
Aug 1, 2007
US
I'm creating a sheet that will be sent out to customers, who are much more often than not computer illiterate. So, I'm trying to build in as much dummy proofing as possible. It is very hard for the end user to mess this book up. The main/only way I can see them messing this up is if they disable macros upon loading the book. Which brings me to the question. What is the best way to 'error check' the user doing this? Here are some of the thoughts I've had so far.

Get a published signature that their computers automatically accept & enable. I don't know much about this option (please point me in the right direction), but already has possibilities of mistakes. IE a end user opens the sheet (from email) at home, or another machine that this hasn't been setup at. Thoughts?

Or warn them that they have disabled macros, and therefore the sheet won't work. The only way I know to do this, while the macros are disabled, is to set the warning up on exit/save the time before, and remove the warning upon opening (and macros enabled, otherwise the warning stays because the macro doesn't run). I don't know how to run macros on exit/save, so please point me in the right direction. And if you run on exit, how does that guarantee it will be saved after exit (there by guaranteeing that the warning will be there when it opens next)? So if there is a run on save, that could/should work well. Thoughts?

Any suggestions on how to combat the disabled macro problem are appreciated. Thanks!

Hi,

Original State: Make all sheets except one xlSheetVeryHidden. ONE sheet visible with a message on this sheet that instructs them to close the workbook, open & enable macros.

If they disable macros, all they will see is the ONE visible sheet.

In the Workbook_Open event (only runs when macros are enabled), make the operable sheets visible and the "splash sheet" hidden.

In the Workbook_BeforeSave event, put the workbook back into the original state.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] When a wee mystic is on the loose..
It's a Small Medium at Large! [tongue][/sub]

Thanks Skip,
That works great. I was hoping there was a before save event that I didn't see/know. This looks like a great solution to the problem. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back