Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to control pc's remotely

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmarquesdrc

Technical User
Aug 30, 2006
PT
Hi,

I have a small network of 1 server and 10 pc's.
I need to control the pc's from out of the office as I was there, so I can make some things.
I have fixes IP and a D-Link DSL-G684T router.
I need advice on the best way (and cheaper too) to do this.

Thanks.

Windows 2003 Server and Windows XP on the pc's.

You familure with Terminal Services and/or Remote Desktop?
I would enable Remote desktop on the all the pc's and on the server. Forward port 3389 through the router to the server, use remote desktop client from home and connect to the server. From the server you can then remote desktop to any and/or all the pcs. Opening a port on your firewall/router does come with some risks so to i would mitigate them as best you can. Keep the machine up2date with patches, configure the router with an ACL to only allow your external ip to connect to port 3389 if can, stuff like that. This should cost you nothing.

If you can get into your network all you need to use is Remote Desktop.

If you don't have VPN access or Citrix... PC Anywhere loaded on all clients and configured correctly will let you in...

Tom

Hi,

I'm not familiar with Remote Desktop, but I'll take a look at it to check if I can configure it.
I already use VNC on the network so I can control the server and pc's from my notebook, but just for the inside on the network.

Thanks.

sounds like you're home free. Set up Remote Aceess with the required credentials to each of the 10 machines and you'll have no problem administering them...

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back