Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to connect desktop and laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

JennITChick

Technical User
Oct 26, 2002
US
My dad has a Windows 2000 desktop and an ancient Windows 95 laptop. He would like to connect them so that he can transfer data back and forth. I believe that when he tried to directly connect them, the desktop would see the laptop, but not the other way around. Would a hub solve this problem? And is there a hub that would use a regular modem line? Any advice is helpful, neither one of us have any experience with this.

Thanks,

Jennifer Sigman
STILL unemployed...

Do both the PC's have a network card?
Then buy a so-called "cross-cable". No hub required.
Setup/syncronise you network configuration and go

No network card on both machines?
Then buy a either a "null modem" cable (and connect both comm ports) or a paralel cable (and connect both printer ports).
Then go and look for old DOS based software (good old Norton or PCtools) to transfer data using those cables.

Going for the DOS based option you must specify your files in the 8.3 naming convention. If you've got long names, and don't want to loose them first ZIP or ARJ your data into a 8.3 format file, send it over and unZIP or unARJ again.

Like Truus suggested. These are the best options. Although if you wanted to learn to play with modems you can use the modems for comunications. Let everything that have breath praise the Lord.

From Dad...

1. I do have network adapters in both machines.
2. I have a crossover cable, but have not been able to get them to recognize each other. They both say there is something connected, but cannot communicate. I found some indication on the Microsoft website that says Windows does not like crossover cables. If you have been able to make this work, please let me know.
3. Using a null modem cable is not an option, because I think I need "real networking" for these things I'm trying to do (getting experience with client-server and web-server type development).

Any help is, as always, much appreciated. Thanks! Jennifer Sigman
STILL unemployed...

Which protocols did you try? Netbios? TCP/IP?
When TCP/IP, did you specify unique IP numbers on each machine? e.g. 192.168.0.1 Win2000 and 192.168.0.2 for the Win95 machine. Both the same netmask (255.255.255.0).

When they can "ping" each other, they communicate!

Microsoft don't like cross-cables?? Just connect the 2 machines and the "green lights" on the NIC's will indicate if they like the cable....

Crossover cable connecting 2 machines is standard - Windows quite happy with it. Have you (your dad) looked at the network configuration on the 95 machine. 95 installs IPX and netbeui protocols by default and NOT TCP/IP. 2k just installs TCP/IP.
So, I'd suggest checking 95 (network properties) - if necessary add TCP/IP and remove netbeui & IPX (and client for Netware if its there). Make sure Client for Microsoft Networks is installed and is the primary logon. Install file & printer sharing - all on 95 - 2k should be okby default.
Make sure both machines have an IP address in the same range (eg, 192.168.0.1 & 192.168.0.2 with subnet 255.255.255.0), belong to the same workgroup, and have resources (drive(s), folder(s), printer(s)) shared (ie, on 2k your own shares, not the C$ default). Also, set up an account on 2k machine with same user id/password as you use to log onto 95 or enable the guest account (don't do this second if machines are connected to internet).

You should now be good to go.

PS. is a good reference site.

Thanks y'all... I'll email this to him (his work has the more stringent firewall) and see what he says. Jennifer Sigman
STILL unemployed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back