Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to compare and delete or insert within tables??

Status
Not open for further replies.

estafford

Programmer
Sep 5, 2002
US
I am working on a project and i'm not sure of the best way to do what I need to.

I have a CSV file that contains addresses.
I need to compare the csv file to a MySQL table (tbl_bl).

Then if the addresses are not found in tbl_bl, I need to add the addresses to another table (tbl_wl) Only if they do not already exist in the tbl_wl table.

I can create simple SQL queries but I'm not so sure about something this complex.

Can anyone give me an idea of the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks!!

You could try the following:

(1) Backup your tables.
(2) Lock the tables.[tt]
LOCK TABLE tbl_bl WRITE, tbl_wl WRITE;[/tt]

(3) Create a temporary field in tbl_bl and set it to 1; this will serve as a flag to indicate already-existing addresses.[tt]
ALTER TABLE tbl_bl ADD T TINYINT;
UPDATE tbl_bl SET T=1;[/tt]

(4) Add the CSV data to the table, specifying that existing addresses should not be overwritten. The records for non-existing address will be added, and their T field set to null.[tt]
LOAD DATA INFILE 'dir/file.csv' IGNORE INTO TABLE tbl_bl;[/tt]

This syntax assumes that your file has tab-separated fields, and that its field sequence is identical to the table's, but other options are possible.
(5) Create a temporary field in tbl_wl corresponding to that in tbl_bl.[tt]
ALTER TABLE tbl_wl ADD T TINYINT;[/tt]

(6) Copy the new addresses into tbl_wl, specifying that existing addresses should not be overwritten.[tt]
INSERT IGNORE tbl_wl SELECT * FROM tbl_bl WHERE T IS NULL;[/tt]

(7) Drop the temporary fields and unlock the tables.[tt]
ALTER TABLE tbl_bl DROP T;
ALTER TABLE tbl_wl DROP T;
UNLOCK TABLE;[/tt]

This method assumes that addresses are identified by unique keys, and the structures of the two tables are identical. It's a bit long-winded, but maybe somebody else will come up with a better way.

Thanks for the info.
The LOAD DATA feature is exactly what I needed.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back