Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Way to block Junk mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrB0b

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2011
US
Curious if anyone is aware of a good way to block incoming junk mail. Pretty sure its a loosing battle because they change their email addys all the time. Was hoping I was missing something.

P.S. Speaking of Outlook 07/10

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

We have a local ISP, Harrisonville Telephone Company, that has a email server that we can log into and config our domain mail and is where Outlook pulls it down from. Im pretty sure Outlook has its own way to block what comes in and I know the domain mail area has a way to block by address but thats about all I got to go on.

K9

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Here are some options for you to try you like to filter out the spam emails. The first option is have them forward it to the following address.

abuse@messaging.microsoft.com

If users have a false positive please have them forward it to the following address. Typically users will have the option to report an email when they move it out of their quarantine to their inbox, but if they don’t they can email the address below.

false_positive@messaging.microsoft.com

Tom

The best thing I've seen is a service that receives your mail before it ever gets to you, filters it for all kinds of bad things and then you pull the (clean) mail from them.

Costs money - YES. Effective - Yes Plus you get reports and you can view and/or release any mail that was flagged and held back from you.

You would be amazed at the type of things going on inside companies and their email: dirty talk between employees having affairs, dirty jokes, not to mention spam and virus-laden emails.

If you don't want to do it at the domain level, you have to invest in something that runs on the desktop and plugs into the email client to filter it as it's pulled into Outlook.

The benefit of something like MXLogic (which I have used), is that the spam/virus laden emails NEVER get into your system.

Bandwidth - excellent point also. Nice of someone to send one of your employees a 40MB video file. You can limit attachment size allowed with most of the products. It adds up if you have people sending videos or MP3s to each other.

The other option not mentioned is some type of appliance or system that you would maintain, like a Barracuda type of product. But you must have the skill to set it up and administer it.

The OP never stated how many workstations they are trying to protect. I would say that the greater the number of computers you have, the more important it would be to centralize the spam filtering and move away from any program running on individual PCs.

That would push you more into the spam appliance or managed service choices.

30 or less total PCs in the plant so not really a big issue going either way. The employees aren't "sophisticated" enough to send anything outside of the generic email back and forth so its just for those that use their work email on random websites and are receiving tons of junk email.

You don't mention what your email server is. If it's hosted at an ISP, some free cloud service (Gmail, Yahoo mail, etc), or an on-prem solution (Exchange, etc). The best solution for you will depend on that.

Do you have your Tek-Tips.com swag? I've got mine! Pick some up at
Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn.

3rd post, its hosted at an ISP

Ah. My bad. So a hosted solution might work for you, but some ISPs are really weird about pointing your MX record elsewhere, which is required for hosted mail hygiene. Make sure you check that first.

Do you have your Tek-Tips.com swag? I've got mine! Pick some up at
Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn.

Yea thats really what I was worried about, and them being a relatively small ISP could throw a wrench in the debacle.

If you don't want to do it at the domain level, you have to invest in something that runs on the desktop and plugs into the email client to filter it as it's pulled into Outlook.
That is what K9 does and it is free.

With a combination of no "catchall" mailbox, Spamassassin on the mail server, K9 before Outlook (or any other email client) means that my email has reduced from 1500 a day at 25/30% spam to 350 a day with less than 2% identified as spam.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

30 PCs would be (to me) pushing the limit to diddle around with software on each one. I'd say you need to graduate to a big boy solution: redirected MX record, better mail provider, in-house spam filter appliance.

If you're chasing false positives on 30 individual machines, imagine the emails that could get lost.

Plus, never underestimate the entertainment value of seeing what kinds of emails have been blocked (all in the name of system monitoring of course).

Pretty much only 1 person out of the group is flooded with spammy email so overall managing a per PC setup wouldn't be a huge headache. Ill look into the MX redirect. Is there anything that could be installed on our server, or something in Exchange, that we could have the emails go through our server, have it filtered, then out to the client Outlook?

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back